Welcome to Skegness on the Internet - Designed by Skegnet Software    
 

 

A brief table of Skegness History

 

1875 The extension of the railway system to the villages of Skegness (population 500)
1878 The ninth Earl of Scarbrough drew up what was one of the first town plans of Skegness, renowned for its tree-lined avenues.
1880 - 1890s The building of Skegness Pier began.

The first development of the gardens at the seafront of Skegness

The building of the "new town" of Skegness and the establishment of the basic tourist infrastructure, Clock Tower, Parade and seafront hotels.

Early 1900's The emergence of Skegness as a primary destination for the East Midlands "Day Tripper". This peaked in 1921 with the railway carrying over 450,000  day trippers on special day excursions.
1930's The laying out of Skegness foreshore with formal gardens, swimming baths and boating lakes etc.
1936 The opening of the first of the highly successful Butlin's Holiday Camps.
1960 - 1970s A rapid increase in static caravans occurred, rising from 12,500 in 1962 to a peak of 21,066 by 1974. This led to the development of Chapel St. Leonards and Ingoldmells as holiday centres.
1978 Skegness Pier was severed by storms, leaving the pier head isolated from the shore and unusable. This section was eventually demolished.
1982 The New Embassy Theatre was built. work included the erection of a new auditorium, dressing rooms, bar facilities and cafeteria. The Tourist Information Centre was located in the complex.
1989 The building of the Indoor swimming pool in Skegness was completed.
Late 1980's Major Investment and refurbishment at the newly names "Butlins Funcoast World".
1995 Development at Ingoldmells and the opening of Britain's first indoor themed holiday resort named "Fantasy Island".
1997 The redevelopment of Compass Gardens began.
1998 The Jolly Fisherman Celebrated his 90th Birthday.

The Clock Tower celebrated 100 years since the first foundation stone was laid. A time capsule was buried on Clock Tower Island.

Butlins Funcoast World underwent a fabulous redevelopments and acquires the name Butlins Family Entertainment Centre.

The redevelopment of Tower Esplanade began.

2000 Tower Gardens re-developed and upgraded. The Embassy Centre was fully re-developed with a new frontage and facade.
2001 Extensive works undertaken for ease of access to disabled visitors and residents throughout Skegness, in particular the Parades and Lumley Road.
2005 / 2006 Following an attempt by the local authority to close the popular "Fairy Dell" children's water feature (adjacent to the Boating Lake, action by local residents and visitors prevented the closure. The attraction was refurbished and re-opened for the holiday season 2006.
2007
(Aug)

The Parade complex was ruined by fire - the building that hosted several popular night spots and arcades was totally destroyed. Located in the heart of Skegness, overnight, the town lost one of its most prominent land marks and popular venues.

Pointermore

 

 

See Also

Skegness - 1930 to 1939

An evacuee from London

 

 

 

|      Home     |     About Us     |     Advertising     |     Links Contents      |      Hotel Guide      |      Smaller Hotels      |      Guest Houses      |
|      Caravan Accom    |    Events    |    Food & Drink     |     History      |      Skeg Illuminations      |      Business Services      |      Guide      |
|     Community News    |     Self-catering Accom     |     Travelling to Skeg     |     Local Walks     |     Caravan Sales     |     Camp Sites    |
|     Area Maps    |    Caravan Storage    |